Does child support automatically stop when my child turns 18?

Not necessarily. The Court can order parents to continue paying support and/or contribute to a child’s college expenses — up to a maximum age of 23 — IF the child remains “unemancipated.”  As a practical matter, if your child attends college, then s/he will remain “unemancipated” for so long as s/he remains in school.  The trickier cases are those where a younger child — between the ages of 18 and 21 — does not attend college (or does not attend college full-time) but still lives with one parent and is not financially self-supporting.  Whether or not that child is “emancipated” — and whether or not the Court will modify or eliminate an existing support order — will depend on the circumstances.

Click here for more information about child support, or email me directly with your specific question.  Thanks for reading.