How do I obtain a copy of my personnel file from my Massachusetts employer?

Massachusetts General Laws chapter 149, section 52c, a copy of which you can see here, entitles any employee to request a copy of that employee’s personnel file from his or her current OR former Massachusetts employer.  If you wish to obtain a copy of your personnel file, you must make the request to your employer in writing.  Here is a sample letter that you can use to make the request.

Click here to see more of the questions I am frequently asked about employment matters, or email me directly with your specific question.

Thanks for reading.